Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

A error occured in the protocol when sending email

I have this really weird problem. I can send internal e-mail fine (blah@ourdomainname.com), but when I try to send external e-mail (bob@hisdomain.com) and click Send, FogBugz displays:

Error sending mail to: bob@hisdomain.comA error occured in the protocol.

Any one else run into this? Any hints as to how to fix it? I'd really like to be able to use FogBugz for e-mail, but now that I'm just starting to try it I'm running into this issue and the HTML issue...

Dave
Monday, March 24, 2003

Does your SMTP server use authentication?  Is your SMTP server set up to not relay msgs (this is likely.. you may have to add the fogbugz machine to a list of OK'd computers to relay mail from).

Michael H. Pryor
Monday, March 24, 2003

We are running Exchange 5.5. I can review the relaying settings. It's been a while since I've played with the Exchange settings, but I can give it a shot.

You have any other folks having this problem with Exchange?

Dave
Monday, March 24, 2003

Not that I'm aware of...

Michael H. Pryor
Monday, March 24, 2003

I ran into this problem with our FogBUGZ / Exchange 5.5 install after our domain got shut down by MailAbuse.org for being an "open-relay" setup.  After we secured our server to their satisfaction, external mail did not work from FogBUGZ.  Here's what I did to get around it:

1) In the Exchange admin utility, set up an internet mail recipient (new custom recipient) for each outside email address you want to send bug notifications to.

2) Next, set up a "hidden recipient" mailbox (this will have an internal email address & valid NT account) for each of these internet mail recipients.  On the "delivery options" tab, under "alternate recipient", select the corresponding internet mail account that you just created.

3) In FogBUGZ, use the "hidden" internal address in place of the person's actual internet address.

I have no idea whether this is the *correct* way to do this, but it seems to work fine.  It is basically just a convoluted way of forwarding mail.  It may be possible to do something similar by setting up rules on the server, but I haven't tried that.

Tim Lara
Monday, March 24, 2003

Actually, what I'm trying to solve is being able to send to any of our clients' e-mail addresses, since I'm trying to use FogBugz for pre-release tech support. (We have a full-blown CRM package that the support department will use once the application goes live.)

Because of this, I don't know what external e-mail addresses I'll be sending to, since I'll just be responding to client inquiries to one of the Mailboxes set up.  So, I don't think I can use your suggestion!

Thank you for taking the time to respond, however. I'll try to hunt for the routing setup for outbound mail.  I tried setting the IP address for the FogBugz server in the Routing Restrictions in the Internet Connector, but that successfully blocked ALL inbound Internet e-mail for about a half hour until I figured out what was going on.  Oops.

Anyhow, I have a request in with the guy who handles Exchange Server more than I do, but he hasn't had time to look at it.  Anyone know how to set up the routing for outbound requests?

Dave
Monday, March 24, 2003

Ahh, sorry...That *is* a different problem.  The above workaround is for sending notifications to off-site programmers who want to receive mail at a specific address that doesn't change.

We don't really ever deal with customer emails as we only develop "internal" software for our company.

However, we *might* use FogBUGZ for tracking customer inquiries from our web site (we are a retailer) so if that is the case, I think we would need the same functionality you are talking about.  If I get a chance to mess with it and manage to get it working, I will post my findings here.  Likewise, please let me know if you come up with a solution!

Tim Lara
Monday, March 24, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home