Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Do not allow user to let title 'untitled'

Folks,

Sometimes users forgot to enter the bug/feature/inquiry's title. Please check for 'untitled' bug before accepting it.

Regards,

Alexandre B. Corrêa
Monday, March 24, 2003

Just for the records:

I know your policy to 'avoid any required fields', this I think this is a special case, isn't it? :)

Alexandre B. Corrêa
Monday, March 24, 2003

I meant '... ,but I think...'

Alexandre B. Corrêa
Monday, March 24, 2003

'avoid any required fields'...

That's the reason it isn't required :)

Michael H. Pryor
Monday, March 24, 2003

Oh... I knew this would be the answer... :)

Alexandre B. Corrêa
Tuesday, March 25, 2003

Andrea,

You should be able to find some free Javascript samples on the net that will allow you to change the properties of that text box to make it a required field instead.

Check out http://javascript.internet.com/forms/required-fields.html for some sample javascript.  There are others but for my description below I'll assume you're using this one.

You'll need to edit line 768 in the EditRange Sub in dlgBugEditing.asp to include the onclick="verify();" line to OK button to call the Javascript to check for the Title.  Also, you'll need to add the Javascript to the page and you can do that just about around line 717 where the adjustRows Javascript function is inserted.

This is assuming you have version 3.1.0 and it's missing a couple steps which I'm hoping you can fill in (you need to test for blank title as well as "Click Here to Enter a Title" which is essentially blank and also change the fields in the script to check for the correct item ... document.formWithProject.sEvent.value).  Let me know if I can help.  I haven't done this change myself, but looked at it at one point and decided against it.

Karan
Tuesday, April 08, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home