Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Documentation and Files for VSS Integration?

I have found the following, which I assume is the correct documentation to get VSS integration working:

http://www.fogcreek.com/FogBUGZ/help/VSSVBScript.html

I can't seem to locate the "vss_fbupdate.wsf" file in my Accessories folder, however.

Anyone have any advice as to where I can find this file? I'm running version 3.0.

Dave
Thursday, March 20, 2003

VSS support was added as of version 3.0.15. Do you have this or a later version?

David Thompson
Thursday, March 20, 2003

David Thompson probably got it right... You may just need to update to the latest version.  You can download 3.1.0 from https://shop.fogcreek.com (look for the download link on the main page)

Michael H. Pryor
Thursday, March 20, 2003

Gotcha.  We were on 3.0.9.  I'll download the latest version and go from there.

What are the biggest benefits of VSS integration from a practical perspective? Is it that the engineer can check in code and VSS will automatically mark the bug fixed and place the developer's comments into the bug? This would be a big timesaver, since right now our process is:

1. Developer checks in code with "Fixed bug 123 by removing the call to Load in the Startup procedure," copying this text to the windows clipboard first.
2. Developer goes into FogBugz, clicks on the bug, and clicks Resolve, the pastes the copied text into the bug.

Thanks!

Dave
Friday, March 21, 2003

The VSS integration doesn't do this automatically.  You will still need to resolve the bug in FogBUGZ.  You could edit the cvsSubmit.asp file if you wanted to change this behavior and make it automatically resolve the bug, but this may lead to a lot of bugs being resolved which weren't actually fixed.  It is probably better to still have the developers explicitly resolve the bug themselves.

Michael H. Pryor
Friday, March 21, 2003

The benefit to source-code control system integration with FogBUGZ (whether VSS, CVS, etc.) is that you have access to change history and differencing from within FogBUGZ. Your developer no longer has to copy comments from the VSS check-in box to the FogBUGZ case, because once the case has been checked in and the update script run, you have access to the VSS history right from the FogBUGZ case.

David Thompson
Friday, March 21, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home