Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Timeout after attaching a file (URGENT)

Folks,

1. Edit a bug
2. Attach a file
3. Click OK

I receive the following message:

There was an error with your request. Please fix the problem described below and hit back to resubmit your request.
Your bug was NOT submitted. Please hit back and resubmit your bug.: Permission denied
ADODB.Connection error '800a0cae'

Connection object cannot be explicitly closed while in a transaction.

/FogBUGZ/default.asp, line 841

After this, all requests from fogbugz fail like this:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80040e31'

Timeout expired

/FogBUGZ/CBugEventList.asp, line 60

I reproduced this problem in either 3.0.15 and 3.1.0 versions.

Alexandre B. Corrêa
Thursday, February 27, 2003

Does restarting IIS (or choosing properties on the FogBUGZ virtual directory and choosing UNLOAD on the fogbugz application listed there) help?

Michael H. Pryor

Also, how large is the attachment and what is the max attachment size in the site screen?

Michael H. Pryor

I have received this error before, but it hasn't come up in the most recent version of FogBUGZ.  It seems to only happen after a client sends an email with a HTML page as an attachment.  A reboot clears the problem, but next time I'll see if restarting IIS would do it.

Wade Winningham
Friday, February 28, 2003

We had this, or something similar, on one of our installations.  The odd thing was that it was on only one of the installations.  In the end it turned out that the "Attachments" directory had incorrect user permissions so no-one could save attachments.  What we've never got to the bottom of was how the user permissions managed to get set incorrectly.  On the other installations they were fine.

Colin Potter
Friday, February 28, 2003

Even restarting FogBugz (in IIS) the problem reappears every time I do that steps described above.

My current site setting is: 10.000K for attachments and I am attaching a 200K file (wave format, but we have tested files from any types from 4K to 1Mb)

Alexandre B. Corrêa
Thursday, March 06, 2003

Somehow I overlooked the most important part of the error message.  Ok, to parse it, what is really going on is that first the bug submission fails because of a permission error. (This is where it says Permission Denied).  This error then causes other errors (like the transaction error), but we can ignore that for now, because the root problem is a permissions problem.
Since it only happens with attachments, it is most likely a permissions error on the FileUploads directory in the website folder.  The user that fogbugz is installed as does not have full permissions on that folder (to create folders/files, move them, etc).  You could write a test asp page that does two things to see where the problem lies...

Put it in the fogbugz website directory and put this in it:

Dim fso: Set fso = Server.CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Dim f: Set f = fso.OpenTextFile("c:\program files\fogbugz\website\fileuploads\test.txt", 8, True)
f.WriteLine "Here it is"
fso.CreateFolder "C:\program files\fogbugz\website\fileuploads\testfolder"
fso.MoveFile "C:\program files\fogbugz\website\fileuploads\testfolder\test.txt"

Basically that does everything the fileupload does.

Also, another option is to remove the On Error resume next in default.asp near the "preSubmitBug" clause... this will just let the error pop up as reported by asp, instead of having fogbugz wrap it in its own error message.

Michael H. Pryor
Thursday, March 06, 2003

Folks,

This problem was resolved reinstalling IIS and FB.

Alexandre B. Corrêa
Thursday, March 06, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home