Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Own categories

Is there any reason not to create our own categories? Once you've found the tables in the database it doesn't seem that difficult

Mike MacSween
Monday, February 24, 2003

You can rename them but if you create more than three a bunch of assumptions in the code won't work, e.g., we won't have proper icons for them.

Also be careful because the table of possible resolutions has an index into the category table, e.g. inquiries can be resolved as "responded" while features can be resolved as "implemented".

Joel Spolsky
Wednesday, February 26, 2003

Thanks Joel, that's what I was finding. For instance I created a 4th category, but at some point I must have done that before and deleted it because the autonumber field value was set to 5. If I rebuilt the table so that the 4th record actually did have an idx value of 4 then no problem. It seemed that unless the index values actually are consecutive, then some of the 'assumptions' you make don't work. It was an out of bounds subscript error, by the way. And as us Access folks know, we can't rely on autonumber to be consecutive. Think I'll leave it as it is

Mike MacSween
Wednesday, February 26, 2003

Hi All!

I searched the word 'category' in the forum archive and found free different answers on creating custom category entries.
I think in new release it would be a nice thing to fully support user defineable categories. Till then I added new  rows in table 'Category' and 'Status'. Seems it works fine,
reduced the incorrect icon for the new category.
Have you got any new experience about bad side effects of these tiny hacks?!

TIA
  Hofi

Istvan Hoffmann
Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Meanwhile I successfully changed function Sub CategoryIcon( ByVal ixCategory, sClass ) in
'icons.asp'  and icons now drawing corretly :)
If you now any other problem caused by these modifications, please sign as!

TIA
  Hofi

Istvan Hoffmann
Tuesday, November 30, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home