Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

153 Processes

When I go into Enterprise Manager ->Management -> Current Activity -> Locks/Object ->FogBUGZ

I find that there are 153 running processes.  THis is a little disconcerting to say the least, since we only have three users.

Any ideas?

Jason
Wednesday, February 19, 2003

If you load a FogBUGZ page and hit stop, or close the browser before the page closes,  the process sometimes doesn't get closed and so it stays open in Enterprise Manager.  You can restart SQL Server or IIS and they should all disappear.

Michael H. Pryor

Well, I can't really do either of those things.  We have a pretty high-volume, transaction-based web site.  Curiously, it doesn't have the same problem.

With all due respect, I think you might want to dig a little deeper.  Otherwise, this effectively is a fogbugz memory leak and a showstopper for me.

Jason

If you open up IIS and get properties on the FogBUGZ virtual directory, you can "Unload" the FogBUGZ app which should do the same thing.

We only ever open one explicit connection to the database (dbGlobal) and it is explicitly closed at the end of default.asp and set to nothing, so we aren't keeping anything open in the code.  (Regardless, ASP claims that once the objects go out of scope [page ends], these objects would be destroyed anyway).

Michael H. Pryor

Michael,

Thanks, I didn't realize that stopping the individual site would stop the processes for fogbugz.  So far, so good.

Jason
Thursday, February 20, 2003

I'd like to definitely dig deeper though into this, so if you have any sort of anecdotal info that might help (for instance, pressing stop on a bug submission five times in a row and noticing five new sleeping processes).  At least that's my working theory and if it proves to be correct, there isn't much we (our asp pages) can do about it.

Michael H. Pryor
Thursday, February 20, 2003

When I have the time, I will try to duplicate it.  I suspect this might have had something to do with the installation, however.  I did have some issues with that which were resolved. 

Jason
Friday, February 21, 2003

Well, we're back to 66 processes in SQL Enterprise Manager. 

The vast majority of them have this as the last TSQL command:

sp_executesql;1

Don't know if that helps.

Jason
Monday, February 24, 2003

add me to the list.  i have about 110 processes with a status of "sleeping" and the same last statement "sp_executesql;1"

something must be causing a statement to hang.  i'll investigate some more in the meantime and see if i can track down any additional information.

karan mavai
Monday, March 03, 2003

I can repro here and I'm running some sql traces to find out the sequence of events that leads to it, but so far I nothing is jumping out at me.

Michael H. Pryor
Monday, March 10, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home