Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

HTML Attachments - Setting? Intention? or Bug?

When Fogbugz receives an HTML file as an attachment, it displays the file INLINE as HTML source (i.e. with all the markups).

I would prefer EITHER to see a link to the attached .html file (as happens when handling a Word doc), OR to see Fogbugz correctly display the html file.

Is this a settings problem that I can fix?

Assad E.K. Ebrahim
Tuesday, February 18, 2003

FogBUGZ doesn't display HTML files "as-is" because it would be a major security hole to allow people to send HTML mail which was then executed on your internal server.  That is why the source is displayed "as source".  If there is a plain text part to the message that will be displayed instead.  But if there isn't, then we have to display the HTML.

Michael H. Pryor
Tuesday, February 18, 2003

I have to agree with Assad. A simple one line message from Outlook becomes text plus about five times that amount of non-human parseable MS HTML. Including HTML MIME parts as a separate link seems like a much more useable way to manage this information.

Mark Zeren
Monday, March 03, 2003

We've just encountered a problem with this as well.  We're receiving support requests with color-coded data; all of it gets lost when FogBUGZ imports it.

I do like the idea of creating an HMTL attachment that can be viewed as it was received.

Jason
Thursday, March 06, 2003

This is a nightmare for us as well. Any e-mail from a user who sends us a message from Outlook using the HTML setting (which I believe is the default now...it's definitely the default for Outlook Express) results in a bunch of HTML that you have to wade through on the screen.

This throws a huge wrench in my plans to do support of our product using FogBugz.

I'm very dissatisfied that the e-mail module doesn't handle what I view as the standard e-mail format today--HTML. Even if it had to be an attachment, it would be better than displaying it all inline.

Dave
Wednesday, March 19, 2003

A workaround (albeit a pain) is to copy the contents to a text file, save it with an htm extension, and double-click on it.

Dave
Wednesday, March 19, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home