Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Email out of FogBugz

Is there any way of sending an email out of FogBugz when the case wasn't created by an email coming in?  I have a situation where people raise cases through the GUI, which turn out to be IT-support issues rather than software.  The IT team use Microsoft Outlook for their tracking system, and it would be good to be able to email them the FogBugz entry as it stands, rather than to cut and paste into an email, and some text like a cover letter, and then email it.

Colin Potter
Tuesday, January 28, 2003

Currently there isn't a way to do this.

Michael H. Pryor
Thursday, January 30, 2003

There's an easy way to work around this.

Say it's "Case 15."

Simply e-mail using your normal mail client (Outlook, whatever), and blind-carbon copy any mailbox you have set up.  But make sure that the subject includes "(Case 15)" somewhere, for example:

"This has been fixed (Case 15)"

As long as you bcc it, the mailbox will attach the correspondence to the case, which is presumably what you are after.

Jason
Wednesday, February 05, 2003

Jason

You're right!  I created a new case - in this instance 36, and sent a blank email to myself with the words "Case 36" in the title, bcc to the polled mailbox.  This appended the email onto the case, and when I displayed the case I had the functionality to forward or reply to the email.  Once I get the "Forward" I can then send it on to the IT guys, and it goes straight into their Outlook task system as something else to do.

Many thanks

Colin

Colin Potter
Monday, February 10, 2003

This wouldn't get the non-user's reply attached to the case, would it? I'd like to be able to ask a non-user a question related to a case and have that whole conversation included in the case, not just my original email. It would be pretty cumbersome to forward each message back to FogBugz.

Any ideas? Or will this sort of feature appear in a FogBugz release any time soon? This is pretty critical to making the system work in our company where very few people need to be actual users, but many people could have input on a given bug or feature request.

Richard Lawrence
Monday, April 07, 2003

Ah, I misunderstood the workaround. When I BCC'd the demo server, the message bounced, so I never got far enough to see that I could forward the message back out of the system. Putting the demo FogBugz email in the To line did work, however.

Richard Lawrence
Tuesday, April 08, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home