Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Feature Request - Referenced By

Since FogBUGZ now automatically hyperlinks cases when text such as "Bug 15" or "Case 23" are entered, it would be nice if there was list of cases that reference the one displayed.  This would be similar to Resolved (Duplicate)

For example, if I have 4 cases that reference Case 23, I would like to see a line along the lines of "Referenced by case 5,7,11,20" with hyperlinks to those cases.

Thanks!

Jason
Tuesday, January 28, 2003

Thanks for the request.  We'll definitely consider it for a future version.

Unfortunately the linking you speak of is done with a regexp, so there isn't any way to figure out which cases reference a given case without looking through the entire database and all the description fields.  For the duplicates we have true references, but the case/bug linking is just a regexp trick.

Michael H. Pryor

I would also like this feature.  A list of "Related bugs" would be useful for us as well. I can think of lots of way of doing this without using regex, but I bet similar fuctionality to the bug linking could be added with a different regex.

Sam H

I might be being dense, but can't you at least make it work for new references by noticing when bug X references bug Y (with the regexp) and then inserting X,Y into REFERENCES? 

I understand that to make all existing references work you'd have to scan the text of all pre-entered bugs, but again, you'd only have to do it once.

Sam Mikes
Monday, February 03, 2003

"Unfortunately...there isn't any way."

Hmm...pretty pathetic answer from a programmer trying to impress other programmers :D.

Jason
Wednesday, February 05, 2003

When I read what I wrote it says:

"...there isn't any way to figure out which cases reference a given case without looking through the entire database and all the description fields. "

When you quote it, it says:

"Unfortunately...there isn't any way."

I'd give you a bit of poetic license but I think I might suspend that license now :D

Obviously I didn't say there isn't a way.  The only way to do it is to establish hard links between the cases and the only way to do that initially is to look through the entire database.

Michael H. Pryor
Wednesday, February 05, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home