Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

E-mail Problem?

I'm about to buy this software - I've been playing around with it and it looks awesome.  But I've found one potential pitfall for us.  We'll be making use of the e-mail submission, and replying via the interface.  But what I'm concerned about is the "Reply & Close" when that message is responded to.

For example, suppose I send out a "This has been fixed" and press the "Reply & Close" button.  The recipient then sends a reply back saying "Thanks for fixing it so quick!"

Now the case gets re-opened and re-assigned.  Yech.

Is there any workaround to this?

Jason
Friday, January 17, 2003

What if the recipient sent back an email that said "No it's not fixed!  You forgot to ... " or something else important.

Unless you had a way of distinguishing between the two types of messages, it's better to err on the side of caution.  In fact we use this system a lot and the types of replies you mention are rare.. they do happen, but not often.

Michael H. Pryor
Friday, January 17, 2003

If they replied back to a "closed" case, the way I'd like to see it work is have it create a new file (in other words, ignore the linking).  Once a case is closed.  I just think it could present a lot of work otherwise.

Jason
Friday, January 17, 2003

Hmm.. You'd still have to close the now NEW case that just says "Thanks!".  Isn't that the same amount of work?

If you just ignore msgs coming into closed cases, you lose information (potentially they reply to an email from a month ago because they forgot your address, but you closed that case and now their email gets lost).  Or you open a new case for emails trying to be appended to closed cases and you end up with unnecessary new cases that just say "Thanks!".

I think short of some sort of AI thing analyzing the content of the emails, there is no fix for what you describe.  You can't be sure the person isn't discussing something with you.

Thanks for the discussion though.  We'll definitely consider ways to make this easier for the next version.

Michael H. Pryor
Friday, January 17, 2003

Ok, this has already happened a couple times for me (someone saying "thanks" after I've closed it).

But I came up with another option:

How about if a new e-mail comes into a closed case, the case remains closed but a notice goes out to the person who closed the case with the warning that they may have to reopen it?  Or, perhaps even a "to reopen this case, click here:" and then the normal link to the case?

This could also be a global option in the "Site" menu.  Something along the lines of "E-Mail to closed cases ( ) should ( ) should not reopen the cases."

Jason
Friday, January 24, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home