Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Add support for minutes in Estimate time fields

Right now you can enter time in hours and days...I often find myself wanting to put estimates for things that will take, say, 15 minutes, or 10 minutes. Or something I thought would take an hour only took 25 minutes.

It would be nice if you could type 15m or 25minutes and have it converted to hours. (Or, even better, if anything under 1 hour was displayed in minutes instead.)

As it is, I use a little Excel spreadsheet with a simple calculation to convert minutes to hours:

=ROUND(B2/60,2)

...with some fancy text formatting to make it readable (e.g. I type 5, I see "5 minutes" in one cell and "is 0.08 hours" in another).

Lorne Laliberte
Wednesday, January 15, 2003

I agree totally. Minutes support is critical, no matter how odd it seems.

Also I got tripped up because I entered in "30 minutes" and it converted it to 3 days 6 hours!

Sometimes estimates are just that, an estimate and should be more free form IMO. Our sales guys doing testing will never type in "0 days 0 hours 30 minutes." They will bang in "30m" and get on with testing. The nice but complex conversion that FOGBuz does currently should be optional, rather than the default.

Paul Watson
Thursday, March 13, 2003

I recently had a fight with the FogBugz interface about this.  I typed in "40 minutes" in elapsed time and it converted it to "5 days". 

Im about to go hunting thru the source to change this myself because I need minutes and I think it's ridiculous that minutes is not supported.

(You can't  even type "0 hours 40 minutes")

Wayne
Monday, March 31, 2003

Ok, after looking thru the source code, I've determined that there are two functions to edit to affect this change.

SFromHours and HoursFromS both found in util.asp

I'm guessing that the best idea would be to make the fields store the Minutes instead of the Hours.  I haven't made any changes yet, but I'll let you know how it goes.

Wayne
Monday, March 31, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home