Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Restrict closing of bugs to admin only?

I have been evaluating FB for my company and liked it so far, especially for its ease of use. However, FB does not seem to restrict non-admin users from closing a bug after resolution. Typically in my company, only the QA folks would be allowed to close a bug, after verifying that the bug had indeed been fixed by the developer, or after having triaged the bug.

Is there a way around this?

Hong Meng
Friday, December 20, 2002

We try not to restrict people from doing things like this in FB because it ends up making the product harder to use.  Programmers can't make bugs for themselves to remind them to do things, because then a QA person would have to close it (test bugs are the same way).  It goes along with this quote from our "Why FogBUGZ Works" page:

"FogBUGZ lets anyone edit any bug, because any impediment to using a bug tracking system will only result in people working around it. On FogBUGZ teams, you'll never hear people say "I know it's a bug but I didn't enter it because ..." (Of course, a complete record of every change is always kept)."

Please see http://www.fogcreek.com/fogbugz/WhyFogBUGZWorks.html

Michael H. Pryor
Friday, December 20, 2002

Has this philosophy changed?  I think it would be very beneficial to build some sort of workflow capability to allow management of what gets approved for fixing and what doesn't.

Kevin Kraus
Friday, October 08, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home