Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Installation Nightmare

My company has just purchased Fogbugz, on my recommendation, but I am having no luck whatsoever installing it.
After arguing with the SQL server side of things, and discovering that the SQL server has to have mixed authentication for the software to install correctly, I complete the installation.
The installer then opens a browser window, which presents me with the error

HTTP ERROR 401
401.1 Unauthorised - Login Failed

The system is Windows NT4 Server SP6, with IIS4 and IE5.5 installed.

The server is set as http://hera.internal.metron.co.uk/FogBUGZ

I have gone through the setup proceedure twice and have had the same results each time

Any suggestions?

Graeme Reynolds
Friday, December 20, 2002

OK, sorted it.
It was a problem with the anonymous login on the IIS server.

Graeme Reynolds

Theoretically, SETUP should have set the anonymous account to a FogBUGZ account and then granted that account permission on everything that it needed. Did you happen to notice specifically what went wrong in your case? (I'm always trying to increase the probability that SETUP works perfectly the first time, so when it doesn't, I'd like to know why)

Joel Spolsky

I'm also having trouble installing the software. I get to the part where the install says "creating FogBugz database", and i get the following error:

"FofBugz was unable to grant login permission to the Windows account WSCCWebs\FogBugz (using sp_grantlogin). blah blah...

CRC
Tuesday, January 13, 2004

I'm stuck at the same place as well, with the exact same sp_grantlogin message.

Bill Brown
Thursday, February 05, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home