Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Problem uploading files

My boss has asked me to look into a problem he found last night.  He was trying to add a data file that was about 6Mb and FogBugz has a file limit of 10,000Kb so there shouldn't be a problem there.  Just to check I set it to 100,000Kb and it made no difference.

This is the error that FogBugz gives to him, he has to wait for the script to timeout first, and it is repeatable:

FogBUGZ Internal Error
An internal error occurred in FogBUGZ. Please report this error to Fog Creek
Software by clicking "Submit."

File:  /fogbugz/CFileUpload.asp
Line:  741
Error:  Invalid procedure call or argument: 'MidB'
Browser:  Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0)
Number:  0x800A0005
Category:  Microsoft VBScript runtime
Column:  -1
QueryString:  pre=preSubmitBug
URL:  /fogbugz/default.asp
Content Length:  0
Local Addr:  192.168.1.197
Remote Addr:  192.168.1.197
Time:  17/12/2002 15:43:45

Any ideas why there is a problem with the 'MidB' function?

Should I backup the DB over the christmas break and re-install IIS & Fogbugz (FogBugz also goes slow from no reason from time to time and then speeds up and when it is slow the pc running the web server shows no additional load on the processor)?

Cheers

Jon

Jon Tresadern
Wednesday, December 18, 2002

What about with a small file?  Is this from the normal "New Case" screen?  Maybe you just need to up the script timeout value...

I can't repro here, so I think its more a configuration issue than a code bug.  An IIS reinstall may help.

Michael H. Pryor

I am not able to test with a small file at the moment as I am now on vacation until the end of the year, and our VPN hasn't been setup yet, but as soon as I can find my modem cable I will dial in and try it.

The thing that I didn't understand is why if complained about MidB.  I increased all the timeouts I could find to 900secs (15mins) but that made no difference.

Also when I tried to upload a 6Mb file myself, I also had Task Manager open on the web server and there was no network traffic or increase in processor use while the file appeared to be uploading.  It just sat there with the world spinning in IE until the script timed out.

Jon

Jon Tresadern

Also not sure if it was from "New Case" or just an edit of an existing case, so I will also recheck this later on.

Jon

Jon Tresadern

The MidB function fails because the POST has to be enctype="multipart/form-data" .  Otherwise that function won't work.  The enctype="multipart/form-data" thing is an attribute of the FORM in html and you use it when you are going to have a fileupload INPUT in the form.  Basically if you submit an empty POST to the page this will happen, and I have seen ASP get screwed up on some machines where POSTs will not be sent with any data.  A reinstall of IIS fixes that.

Michael H. Pryor

Thanks for that info sounds reasonable.

Is there anyway I can switch on ASP error logging or FogBugz debug logging so I hopefully get some more info that may help me find out what is causing this problem?

Jon

Jon Tresadern

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home