Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Feature Req: Generate download Link for articles

Proberly not high priority, however ...

It would be good to have an option for an article to generate a download link for RTF or PDF versions of the article.

This could be created using a script command so from an index the user can choose to read online or download a PDF.

I would imagine a specific template would have to be designated as a PDF template to be used by the PDF generator.

Anthony Richardson
Tuesday, December 11, 2001

I wonder if we can't get some of the way there now. Make a link to see the PDF which is the magic name.pdf. Publish your site, then run a script on the site to generate the PDF's out of the documents there. Put the PDF's in a known location that the links point to.

I think that would work.

It would be nice to have CD do this, but I think that "external scripting" could get complex.

Maury Markowitz
Wednesday, December 12, 2001

I'm actually generating PDF off of one CityDesk template.

Here's how I did it.

First I created a Word for Windows document that looked exactly like what I wanted the final document to look like, using standard CityDesk Scripting -- {$ foreach $}, etc.

Then I saved it in Word's weird HTML format, which preserves all Word formatting precisely.

I dragged this file into my CityDesk site and -- tada! Now publishing also generates a Word file. I set up Word as one of my Web Browsers in the Preview dialog.

So now, creating PDF is pretty easy:
* publish the site
* preview with Word
* click on the Acrobat button in the Word toolbar

Done!

Joel Spolsky
Saturday, December 15, 2001

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home