Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Another feature: versioning

My usage is a little different than the target market. Instead of lots of new articles I make lots of changes to a set of unchanging articles. And unlike the target where each new article typically generates a line on the home page, in my use each new _edit_ generates a line on the home page. Check it: www.gamesoffame.com (soon to be powered by CD!).

So something that would really help me is the ability to do a _simple_ tag of a version/who/when/what on an article. nothing fancy or smart, just a field for a name(s), a date, a version string (maybe some simple help here) and a string for change notes.

I could then script the home page to use when/what to make my "what's new", as opposed to scripting the tagline/who/when which is what the system is geared to now.

I know this isn't an important 1.x feature. But I'd kill for it in 2.x when it starts becoming really useful for my sort of site (which, IMHO, I think is a HUGE market). I think that the target market would like this too, although they would more likely use it for "writen by, edited by, approved by" lists instead of versions. Nevertheless, it's the same thing.

Maury Markowitz
Tuesday, December 11, 2001

Maury,

You should do your homepage like this...

Create and index.html file and put this in it...
{$foreach 5 x in (folder "What's New")$}
{$x.fileddate$}: {$x.body$}
{$next$}

Create a folder called "What's New". Then every time you have a news item, create an article in that folder.
For instance, you would now have 4 articles in there..
1) Dec 13, 2000: Big news! The author ...
2) Sept 1, 2000: A long e-conversation ...
3) April 23, 2000: Added the ...
4) Feb 29, 2000: Big news! While ...

That's all there is to it... Just like the joelonsoftware.com main page.

I think you are letting the term "articles" confuse you...  articles can be snippets... they don't have to exist as their own page... (they do, but if you don't link to them, then no one will really see them)...

Michael Pryor

That's another small feature I'd like to see in the next version. A checkbox on an article to specify whether it should be created as an actual HTML page in the final site.

Some types of articles, like blog entries, are really just snippets that I'll never link to as a stand-alone page - I only ever want to aggregate their dates and bodies together into a Monthly page, say.

Or maybe CityDesk could have an option that searches the output site for pages that are not linked to, and give the user the option to delete them?

Come to think of it, this sounds like a useful script to add as a 'Preview With' option. Maybe I'll do that while I wait for 2.0.

Darren Collins

I've got strays on http://www.deadlybloodyserious.com/ -- each group of items in the left hand side is an article used only for its .body.

Garth Kidd

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home