Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Eliminating tags from title

Hiya.

Any ideas on combatting the following?

I'm using {$ .headline } to fill the <title> tags on the site.

Thing is, one of my headlines read Welcome to <em>Liddellgrainger.org.uk</em>, and so does the title - you can see it here:

www.liddellgrainger.org.uk/other/Welcome.html

Not that important, although if google pulls up that page in the results it shows "Welcome to <em>Liddellgrainger.org.uk</em>". I think I'm stuck with it.

Dan
Friday, September 26, 2003

Open your cty file in Access, and you can remove the tags from the title field by editing in the Articles table.

Mike Gunderloy

Version 1 didn't allow the tags in the headline field. I was one who requested them. I needed to italicize ship names. Now, I'd prefer it didn't. In V1 I improvised by putting article titles in Extra2 as well and using the untagged headline in "title" which worked fine.

I rejoiced when V2 allowed tagging in headlines until I saw my page titles. Oh well.

Another solution might be to use article names for "title."

tk

Ok. Thanks. I'll have a poke around in the db.

Dan

Damn you tk!!! lol.

The solution Fog Creek should have is a specialized {$.headlinewithouttags$} variable. This is the best of both worlds.

Mark T A W .com

For those with not enough to do, I suggest writing some code to strip the tags out as part of a post processing application

Volunteers?

Joel Goldstick

By using Style Sheets [CSS] you can very easily accomplish having certain "links" appear in italics versus having to go through yet another process.

Learning how to use CSS is not that difficult and in the end very rewarding. There are many ways of incorporating CSS into CityDesk -- check out the example found in [ http://templates.fogcreek.com/ ] styleswitch.cty or [ http://www.citydesktemplates.com/index.html ]

As example the following "rule" can be placed in a CSS file:

thisLink a:link {
background-color: #ffffff;
color: #0000ff;
text-decoration: none;
font-style: italic;}

When CityDesk publishes the HTML anytime it encounter code like
<a class="thisLink">href="Liddellgrainger.org.uk">{$ .headline }</a>

the link and {$ .headline } will automatically appear in italics.

David Mozer
Sunday, September 28, 2003

Minor typos--should be:

<a class="thisLink" href="Liddellgrainger.org.uk">{$ .headline $}</a>

No bracket after "thisLink"; "$"  before the closing bracket.

Amos

Amos, thank you!  ... Yes, your corrections are valid ... sorry about the typos.

David Mozer

The original posting had only part of the title surrounded by tags.  I am a very strong proponent of using CSS, but it won't solve the problem where title is:

Some title <em>some more title</em>

Joel Goldstick

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home