Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

up creek/no paddle

A few months ago, I downloaded CityDesk and created a web site. I no longer have access to the computer I originally used - so now I have a web site with no way to modify it. I am thinking I can download the software onto my new computer and then I'll only have the problem of not knowing my password. Is this the way to go?  Will there be an easy solution to my password problem?  Should I even HAVE a website if I could do something this silly?

Deb Frisch
Thursday, September 25, 2003

If you download Macromedia Contribute 2, you could import your entire website and then make changes with it instead.

Alienware
Thursday, September 25, 2003

First of all - title of thread - ba dum ta.

You lost your computer password? Which was it, the Windows or power on password?

Mark T A W .com
Friday, September 26, 2003

I meant I lost the citydesk password.

Deb Frisch

The published website is just a bunch of html files (and pictures and whatever else). The citydesk file (.cty) with the password is only on the computer you used to create the site, so unless you can re-gain access to it, it makes no difference whether you can remember the password or not.

If you want to continue using Citydesk, you're gonna have to re-create a lot of things, such as your templates; and you're gonna have to individually import your published pages and fiddle with them to get them back into articles  rather than html files, so you can *use* your templates and other features again.

(AFAIR, CityDesk doesn't automatically add a password to every .cty file; you have to set one manually. Am I wrong in this?)

Martha

Thanks Martha - I think the thing to do is to start over from scratch (not too hard - it was just a few text files). I realized that my main obstacle is relearning how to ftp to the server - for that, I need to talk to my brother-in-law whose server I used, not this list. Thanks for helping me reconstruct the process enough to figure out what I need to do to proceed.

Deb Frisch

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home