Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

serious bugs?

i've been trying out citydesk 2.0 for awhile, and i've run into two problems, one quite serious.  aside from being disappointed by the problems, i've also been disappointed by the completely uninterested response i got when i reported them.

the first is the most serious; my citydesk file is on a fileserver, and if the fileserver gets rebooted while i'm editing, citydesk waits until next time i try to save my work and then says "oops; you lose".  even though the file server's long since back up, and the files are in exactly the same state they were before the reboot, citydesk refuses to do anything except offer to send a problem report back to galactic headquarters.  i've now learned to copy and paste anything i've been editing into other applications, force citydesk to quit, restart it, and then try to paste back my changes, but that's pretty abysmal.

the other is less critical but still annoying: most of my documents are simple outlines (nested <ul>s).  if i stay in normal mode and just use the simple controls i'd expect to get clean html, but after awhile (probably some combination of insert/delete/etc.) it starts putting real crap in the html, like wrapping subitems in a <li style="LIST-STYLE-TYPE: none">, throwing in gratuitous <div style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">s, etc.

does anyone else run into these problems?  has anyone else had more satisfying reponses from citydesk when reporting problems?

Mike Dixon
Tuesday, September 23, 2003

Do as I do: Use version 1 ... CD2 just ruins any serious work. It has been reported here over and over and no one seems to care. I sure hope they do nevertheless, but my private theory is that Fog Creek has abandoned CD2 long ago and are working on the next version instead. But who knows? They very seldom react to anything in this forum.

Jorgen Brenting

How often does your fileserver reboot? Fixing that problem would seem to me to be more important than complaining about CityDesk not coping with it. A lot of other applications would have similar problems with a filesystem that disappears and reappears while files are open.

Darren Collins

All the more reason to suggest CD attempts to cope with it.

B#
Wednesday, September 24, 2003

The fix to the HTML mangling of version 1 seems to have caused worse mangling.  More to come as I post more bugs...

David Burch
Wednesday, September 24, 2003

Most of the 'HTML mangling' issues would be solved if we never had to switch to HTML Mode.

For me, 95% of what I need HTML Mode for would be simple things like headings, styles, tables, and name anchors. If these could be done in Normal Mode, not only would CD be easier to use, but it'd appear more robust to many people.

Of course, there will always be some things we need HTML Mode for (e.g. finicky scripting), but that would typically only be needed for a small fraction of articles and you'd probably only need to do it once or twice per article.

Is my usage typical? What do you other guys regularly need to use HTML Mode for?

Darren Collins
Thursday, September 25, 2003

Sorry, that first line should have been "...solved if we RARELY had to...". If we *never* needed HTML Mode there'd never be a problem!

Darren Collins

I almost always stay in html mode.  Never venture to normal mode.

Once I have a site set up, I use normal mode to type in articles.  But not too often

Joel Goldstick

For templates, use another design program (DW, FP) and paste the html into CD, don't change to normal view.

Most articles are text based, just stay in normal view. If the article is complicated do the same method as for templates.

CD is mostly a content management system, but it does articles beatifully, try doing what CD does with a server side CMS editor, you'll be back.

Ron Lane
Friday, September 26, 2003

Too bad CityDesk wasn't written in Delphi, www.purposesoft.com has a WYSIWYG HTML component that doesn't mangle pages going between Normal and HTML views and does a wonderful job beautifing HTML.....

Walter Matte
Friday, September 26, 2003

Regarding html "mangling", it seems to me that some of the problems could be alleviated if the {$ include $}  command was expanded so that normal files could be linked in as well as articles.

This would also have the benefit of allowing one to use a decent syntax colouring editor like homesite for blocks of asp,javascript, php etc  as well as separating code & content better...

shaunH
Saturday, September 27, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home