Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Automatic breadcrumbs for 2 menu levels

I like to create breadcrumbs but they should be created automatically. In the websites I create with CityDesk, I like to use folders which contain files on the same subject (for example "news") and I put an index file in each folder. It generates a menu for all articles in this folder and presents a welcome page for the folder subject.

For a website which works with two menu levels, for example a main menu and a submenu for each main menu item, I created the following script:

<a href="PTMFOG0000000013">Home</a>
{$ foreach 1 x in (and thisFolder (fileName "index") not(keywordContains "HOME")) $} &gt; <a href="{$x.link$}">{$x.headline$}</a>{$ next $}
{$ foreach 1 x in (and thisArticle (not(filename "index"))) $} &gt; {$ x.headline $}{$ next $}

It always shows "Home" with a hyperlink to the index file of the website, which contains the keyword "HOME".

Secondly, it shows " > " and the headline of the index file in the current folder (if this is not the main index file with "HOME" in it's keywords)

Last, it shows " > " and the headline of the current file (which can again be a index file)

In the example website the following breadcrumbs can be generated automatically:

Home
Home > Sports
Home > Sports > Nonfootball
Home > Sports > Football
Home > News
Home > News > International
Home > News > Local
etcetera...
(provided that the headlines for the index files are named "Home", "Sports", "Nonfootball", "Football", "News", "International", "Local", etcetera)

Kind regards,
Johan Willems
Limit ICT Professionals
www.limit-ict.nl
www.citydesk.nl (under construction)

Johan Willems
Monday, September 22, 2003

That's great, thanks Johan. I've implemented your idea on my site, http://rltvolunteers.org

David.

David Watts
Tuesday, September 23, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home