Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Which index is which?

Most of my articles are named index.  It's hard to tell them apart in some parts of CityDesk.

Index is a special name on most web servers.  When a browser requests a directory, the web server will deliver that directory's index.html file, if there is one.

My web site has a directory for each article.  That directory contains all the files related to the article: the main text in index.html, possibly other html files, some image files, and occasionally other files (PDF, video, audio, ...).  There are lots of directories, so there are lots of index.html files.

CityDesk's main window shows a tree diagram of folders (directories) and their contents.  It's easy to distinguish one index file from another because the tree diagram provides plenty of context.

CityDesk's article edit window displays the article name (usually "index") in the its title bar.  When I'm working with multiple index files at once, I become confused about which is which.  There's about five inches of empty, blue title bar that could hold some helpful context: the directory path or the article headline.

A similar problem exists in the link dialog box.  A nice pulldown version of the directory tree makes it easy to select a destination for a link.  Once selected, only the title (ususally "index") is displayed.  There's about two inches of white space left in the field, enough for some context: the path or headline.

If the path is chosen for context, please avoid the mistake made by another HTML editor I use:  When space is tight, they elide the middle part of the path. For example, "articles/2003/May/ModernistCeramics/index.html" is shortened to "articles/.../index.html" -- they left out the good stuff!

What does the gold standard, Microsoft Word, do?  It displays the filename.  But most people do not name all their reports and correspondence index.doc.  Instead Word suggests a long name based on text contained in a document:  September 16.doc, 2004 Business Plan.doc, or Fremont Floor Wax Complaint Letter.doc. I don't think we need to mimic Microsoft Word precisely.

Thank you for reading this far.

Joel Shprentz
Tuesday, September 16, 2003

I've had that same problem: Which "index" am I working on?

You can name a file like this:
"index(for this or that)"

The part in parentheses won't be a part of your file name, it will still be "index" but it will show up in the blue title bar when you edit it.

tk

Also MS Word isn't designed to handle so many related documents.

Why not name your index files something like:

index (Modernist Cermaics)

which should produce "index.html" but also give you a clue as to what it contains.

Mark T A W .com

Damn. That's what I get for surfing the web and watching tv at the same time. TK beats me to it.

Mark T A W .com

Thanks, tk and Mark T A W .com.

Now that you've revealed the solution, I can find it described in the documentation.

Both the article editor title bar and the link dialog display "index (Modernist Ceramics)"

Problem solved.

Joel Shprentz
Wednesday, September 17, 2003

Kruto !

Mark T A W .com
Wednesday, September 17, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home