Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Feature request: more than one author

Hey, it happens.

I'd guestimate that something like 15% of the articles I see out there have more than one author though.

I can't say I need this, but then again I'm *not* in the target audience for CD.

Maury Markowitz
Tuesday, December 11, 2001

Just write "Joe Schmoe and Jim Schmim" in the author field... Or am I missing something?  (Its a freeform field..)

Michael Pryor

While we're on the topic of authors...

In a future release, it'd be great to see a separate table to hold author names and bios. A drop-down list of author names could then appear in the article Properties tab, so you don't have to keep retyping "About The Author".

I know I can put this stuff in variables, but I would still have to type variable names into the fields. Plus, variables are not easy to manage (it's just one long list), and don't lend themselves to easy maintenance of their HTML content.

Darren Collins

For the time being, I could cope with the long list if I could resize the box.

A lot of my variables are specific to chunks of content, though -- for example, the list of sub-article headlines in the right hand navigation bar shared between the index.html and the template for the articles.

If I could pull in variables from a particular article with CityScript, I'd be pretty happy. {$PTMFOG0000000029.body$} or {$parent.extra1$} would let me set the variables where the content was...

Garth Kidd

Michael, the only problem (and maybe it's not real) is that you can't script it. I guess you can't anyway now that I think of it.

I was thinking along the lines of having different sections on my new flight sim page, with headers for each of the authors. So that way you could see Maury's last 5 articles and Nat's last 5. Of course many of the articles we'll both write together.

Is there some way to do this now that I'm missing?

Maury Markowitz

I guess you could add the authors names to the keyword fields...

Then you could have some foreach'es like
{$foreach x in (keyword_contains "jim") $}

etc..

Michael Pryor

Yeah, that'll work for now. But I'd still like to use authors for authors I think. One for the list.

Maury Markowitz
Wednesday, December 12, 2001

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home