Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Spaces

When I write in an articel and try to use two spaces to separate paragraphs (to create a better break between subject matter) it always seems to only show one space.

How can I force the browser to leave a bigger space between such sections?

Any help is appreciated  :>)

Glenn M. Nelsen
Friday, September 12, 2003

You can add this code:    You have to add it in html, not normal mode. (It is called the 'non-breaking space' entity)

If you don't feel comfortable in html mode, create a variable called Spaces.  Put   in the variable.  If you want 2 spaces, put two of that sequence in the variable. 

Wherever you want to force that many spaces just insert {$.Spaces$} in your article.

HTML will always reduce spaces down to one space by default.

Joel Goldstick

Thank you!!

Glenn M. Nelsen

I think you want two line breaks like this:

right? I think you can use CTRL + ENTER or SHIFT + ENTER to force a line break rather than a paragraph.

=============

<p>I think you want two line breaks like this:</p>

<br>
<p>right? I think you can use CTRL + ENTER or SHIFT + ENTER to force a line break rather than a paragraph.</p>

www.marktaw.com

I originally misunderstood.  You can put this in your head section (in your template):

<style type="text/css">
p {margin-bottom: 2em;}
</style>

This will give a margin of 2 lines (approximately) below each paragraph.

Joel Goldstick

"I originally misunderstood.  You can put this in your head section (in your template):"

I thought of this too, but wasn't sure if he wanted two line breaks after EVERY paragraph or just a few....

www.marktaw.com

Wanted it done in just a few paragraphs. To split up sections of paragraphs but where a horizontal line would not look good.

Although it is good to know how to have spaces throughout do it throughout also.

Cntrl + Enter does put a line space in Word

Glenn M. Nelsen

Whoops - no Control + Enter puts in a section break in Word.

Glenn M. Nelsen

shift + enter, just verified it.... inserts a line break instead of a paragraph

Mark TAW (.com)
Saturday, September 13, 2003

a suggestion... what about a shortcut for inserting those special chars that we use frecuently.

&nbsp;
»

would be great inserting "hard spaces" being in normal view.. (maybe ctrl+space or similar)

pere
Friday, September 19, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home