Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

XML sucks!

Heh, that got your attention...

Anyway, I noticed that a lot of people didn't read Joel's piece on why we chose not to use XML as a datastore very carefully... A lot of people somehow think that CityDesk doesn't "support" XML which is just a bunch of baloney...

Masukomi writes (and Dave Winer links to) this:
"The next big issue with CityDesk is it's avoidance of XML. Now, I'm not saying that XML is the solution to the worlds problems, and I agree with Joel that it's a stupid way to store any significant amount of data, but it is currently the best solution we have for interapplication communication. By not supporting XML or any similar means of comminicating with other apps they have created their own little Galapagos. Yeah, they're the kings, but it's a damn small kingdome and it's species aren't well suited to the environmental change. "

Saying we avoid XML is like saying we avoid plain text.  It just isn't true.  Go on, generate your xml files with citydesk.  Userland is all about the interop, so I can see why they are trying to pick on us using xml as their sword - but I just don't get it, because the accusations are untrue.

CityDesk can output whatever you want - xml, asp, txt, html.  To prove it see http://www.joelonsoftware.com/rss.xml - generated by CityDesk. 

Fault us all you care to, but at least be constructive and truthful.

Michael Pryor
Monday, December 10, 2001

... speaking of which, care to publish the CityScript for that one? :)

Garth Kidd

How to create an RSS feed using CityDesk, from the CityDesk Knowledge base:

http://www.fogcreek.com/CityDesk/kb/fog0000000056.html

(You may ask, where is this mysterious knowledge base? The answer is that most of it is still under construction. It will show up on our support home page soon.)

Joel Spolsky

Looks fine so long as nobody puts ]]> in their content, but there are so many worms in the can labelled "control of output escaping" I'm going to just avoid [[>. :)

Garth Kidd
Tuesday, December 11, 2001

Nobody would end up with ]]> in their HTML unless they really were emitting CDATA blocks (pretty darned unlikely, especially with this product). If someone types
"]]>", remember that it gets translated into "]]>" in HTML.

Brad Wilson
Thursday, December 13, 2001

Aah, you're right. I keep forgetting that most people will be editing in WYSIWIG mode ("Normal" view), not HTML mode. Well, unless they're trying to do headers. :)

Garth Kidd
Thursday, December 13, 2001

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home