Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Printable Page

I have been surfing some CityDesk sites, and I notice some have links for printable pages (i.e. www.marktaw.com for example)

I downloaded my template from Darren Collins site.

I was wondering how can I easily create printable page fopr this template.

Is this a ready-made CityDesk feature?

Really Anonymous Coward
Sunday, September 07, 2003

It's not built in but it's almost built in:

Here is the knowledge base artcle about it (read this first):

http://www.fogcreek.com/CityDesk/help/Creating_Templates/UsingTemplateFamilies.html

Here is a discussion (read this for moral support):

http://discuss.fogcreek.com/CityDesk/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=3026&ixReplies=15

tk

Two separate style sheets (display vs. printer) work very well for me.

No double publishing, or manual switching between versions - Windows automatically uses the printer style sheet (e.g. suppressing the navigation bar) when printing.

Vic

Vic, can you post a Web site that implements your idea? Currently I use the two template families, which effectively doubles the disk space my Web site uses.

Thanks.

David Watts

Hello David,  the site is not up yet! 

However, here are some snippets fwiw:

Each of my articles includes a header referring to both a display and a printer CSS:

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="PTMFOG0000000015.css" title="default" media="screen" />

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="PTMFOG0000000177.css" title="default" media="print" />

The actual CSS are based on CD's default CSS.  The subtle difference for the printer CSS is the suppression of the navigation bar on the left, by specifying

/*Structural elements */
#navList {
    display: none;
}

Windows automatically selects the correct CSS dependent on the function, so when printing (and even in "Print Preview"), my contents now comfortably fits on a page in portrait orientation.

I should say I've never worked with style sheets before so I'm just starting to tap into their capabilities.

Vic
Monday, September 08, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home