Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Neat Feature

This has probably been mentioned before but I've just noticed that if you have a URL on the Clipboard and go to insert a link in a CityDesk article, it automatically guesses that you want to link to that URL and pre-populates the text box.

John Topley (www.johntopley.com)
Sunday, September 07, 2003

It would be great if it can recognize the URL on the active browser.

If you have the URL on the Clipboard - you have done most of the manual work, not CityDesk

AX
Sunday, September 07, 2003

I dunno, inserting the url from the currently-open browser, even if it could work (which browser window, and which tab of that window?) is just too much like attempted mindreading. It's bound to annoy more people than it helps.

Guessing that the url on the clipboard is what you were about to paste into the link is probably safe enough (and quite cool <g>). But trying to guess more than that would take CityDesk into the Microsoft Word realm of "If I had wanted *that* to happen, dammit, I would have issued the command to *make* it happen, thankyouverymuch. Now go away and quit trying to read my mind."

(Don't get me wrong. I like Word. All the competitors I've tried have sucked in comparison. But I still don't want CityDesk to emulate the annoying parts of Word.)

Martha
Wednesday, September 10, 2003

Actually, I think a "Use Current Browser Address" button in the link dialog would be great.  I'm envisioning something that works exactly like the "Use Current" button in AOL Instant Messenger's link dialog.  I agree that CityDesk shouldn't auto-populate the field like it does with a URL in the clipboard, but a button to go and get the URL from the browser window on top sure would be handy.

Kevin
Wednesday, September 17, 2003

Try dragging a URL from Internet Explorer into the normal view of an article.  (On the address line, click, hold, and drag the small icon before the URL.)

When I dragged a URL from IE 6 to CityDesk, CD converted the URL into a link. CD used the URL for both the href attribute and preselected text.

Joel Shprentz
Wednesday, September 24, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home