Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Suggestion: 'Used in' function for templates

I'd love to be able to see which documents use a template. Especially when you're about to remove a template it'd be great to be sure it's no longer used...

Duq
Saturday, September 06, 2003

How about if you open the .cty file in Access and go to the tblArticle table and sort the ixTemplateStructure column, that will show the templates in use. You may need to look at the tblTemplates table for the id number of the template you are interested in.

Ron Lane

I can't really see how and where "used when" can appear. But this request reminds me of two earlier ones:
1) bulk changing of templates (yes, I know CopyBoy can do it- but i couldn't manage installing CP for whatever reason)
2) color coding. i think it was for a different purpose, but it should be simple enough that the article-name in the tree-view would be color-coded according to a chosen color in the template's property menu. i hope. that would be the end to articles using the wrong templates.

gilad

I'm sure opening the .cty file in database view will do the trick, but as a user I'd prefer to have a button in the template editor that will show me a list of articles that use the template.
The color coding might work for smaller sites, but when things grow a list will be easier.

Duq
Sunday, September 07, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home