Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Limited "replace"

Hello,
I've been using CD quite extensively and found a "bug" worth mentioning. the "search and replace" has a problematic charecter limit.

I'm converting large (30,000 words) ms-word documents to html files. HTML Tidy only runs half-way, so i use "replace all" to fix up some junk (e.g., empty paragraphs).

basicly, i want CD to convert:

<p class="MsoNormal" dir="rtl" style="mso-pagination: none"><font face="Arial" size="3"><span lang="HE" style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; LAYOUT-GRID-MODE: line; FONT-FAMILY: Arial" xml:lang="HE">&nbsp;</span></font></p>

to a blank space. unfortunatly CD reads the replace string only till ...xml: . *sigh*

gilad
Friday, September 05, 2003

It sure would be nice if regular expressions could be added to the search and replace.  I'm just beginning to use them more since I started playing with an editor that allows that, and if you haven't, they can become addictive

Joel Goldstick

It's mind-boggling what you can do with regular expressions.  Not for everybody, though.

Michael Rainey

I agree that adding regular expressions to the CD S&R engine would be nice to have – have and it certainly is mind-bending what can be accomplished.

BTW, NoteTab [www.notetab.com] has a fantastic S&R engine built-in.

David Mozer

While we're at it, a couple of more points about *huge* articles (10-30k words and counting):

1) It takes years to load. well, something like 5-8 minutes, depending on exact size. ms-word opens the same document in less than half a minute, ms-ie also. CD just churns and churns away.. switching between normal and html view also takes up a few long minutes. on extra-extra-large files it also occasionaly crashes. It isn't a pretty sight.

2) Articles that long aren't really meant to be displayed that way on the web. Is there any way to automaticly split the one large word document to smaller articles?

gilad

I have been experiencing a different bug with the Replace All button in the article editor.  It does not Replace All.  It seems you have to hit the button two or three times before it makes it all the way through the article to replace everything.

Dan

Daniel Read
Saturday, September 06, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home