Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Open With (again)

Help! Some time back I reported I could not get CD to recognise when an open with'd file had been saved by another app.

I was running Win2K then and it was assumed I had some wierd system config or something.

Well recently I moved to XP Pro, upgraded CD to released V2, and tried again.

Same problem. CD does not recognise when another app has made a change for me. I even tried just sending it to Notepad, same problem. Arrrghhhh!

Any ideas?

Tim Jones
Wednesday, September 03, 2003

Whenever CityDesk gets the focus (i.e. when you switch back to CityDesk) it goes through the list of files that it thinks are being edited in external editors and checks if they have changed on disk. If they have changed on disk, it reloads them.

It is working for me, editing an HTML file with Notepad. Can you post a step-by-step procedure that illustrates the exact problem you're having? Maybe you're doing some steps differently than I am.

Joel Spolsky

Thanks Joel,

- New HTML
- Open With | Notepad
- Instert some text in between the body tags of the new "template" in NotePad
- Save File
- Close NotePad
- Focus automatically goes back to CD
- Open With | Notepad

Changes aren't there - just the empty HTML "template" every time <shrug>.

Other apps that monitor file change status on disk are working. I just don't get what is causing this :-(

Tim Jones

Joel,

I just tried it again. This time I noticed that when I typed the new file name, I'd left the .html off the file - it was irrelevant to *me* as I'm just using it as an include.

CD seems to not bother to track the file change if there is no file extension?

Tim Jones

You seem to be right... when there's no extension, it doesn't work !

Eeeps.

I will study this and we'll fix it. Thanks for the detailed repro case.

Joel Spolsky
Thursday, September 04, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home