Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Expired links not reported

I have links that go from one article to another in my site. After the target page expires (ie, its "do not publish after" date is in the past), the link to it in the source article is now broken. However, the problem is that CityDesk 2 does not report this so the user gets a 404 when they click the link.

Has anyone else seen this?

David Watts
Tuesday, September 02, 2003

I haven't seen this, but I've not tried. (well, I tried and I get the same eoor after publishing).  I think its a nice feature to implement, because the page doesn't exist anymore after publishing, I think CD should recognise this. I can see though that it could be difficult to check if the link is "external" of internal for CD.

Another feature I would like is the possiblility to get a list of all experied articles, because  then you can delete them to save space and mainainance.

Menno Tillema

I think that if you are generating the link to the expired page with a script, CityDesk will "catch" it. At least it should.

If you link to the expiring page with "link" button, I guess CityDesk doesn't catch it.

There is the whole philosophical thing about never deleting an article because somebody might have linked to it. There are ways to keep the article there even if you've removed the link to it.

But, the only way I've ever used "never publish after" is for article templates and reminders/documentation about how I did the site. In some sites I keep an empty table to paste into articles when I need to.

tk

The articles I'm writing are date specific (ie, related to an event on a specific date). So in most cases, the article is of little value after the date.

Since both the source and target articles are internal to CityDesk, I would think it reasonable that the link be checked to ensure it is still valid.

Can this check be implemented?
Thanks.

PS, the new features in V2 are great. Thanks! I, too, miss the caption feature for images, however.

David Watts

I do an event listing where fileddate is the date of the event. I also keep an archive of past events. So, someone can find out if "Numinous Opossum" ever played Atlanta.

I have one of these that shows only events today or in the future:
{$foreach x in (and(not (keyword_contains "(nonblogentry)")) (or (today) (after publishdate)))SortAscendBy .fileddate $}

I also have the archive pages of all the events past and future. (Basically I used John C's blog .cty file and turned it upside down).

tk

I also do an event listing but I use the filedname as thet date of the event. As the article is written in the future tense and the someone else writes a article of how it was, I schedule the article for "not to be published" say 14 days after the event took place. So visitors don't see announcement for events one month/year/decade ago.

So if the article is outdated and wont be publilshed anymore, I would suggest that CD warns me so I can at least update the article containing the link.

Somtimes it's not convenient to use citydesk script to do this, but you need a diract link...

Menno Tillema
Wednesday, September 03, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home