Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Are Key Words Necessary?

Do adding key metra words to a website offer any benefits?

They used to with the old spidering search engines that headed straigth for the meta-tags.

Or am I wrong on this?

Ram Dass
Sunday, August 31, 2003

Most people who have actually analysed search engine optimisation seem to think the keywords field is ignored, or at best is given very low importance. I guess it's too easy for people to misuse.

Still, it doesn't hurt to put a few keywords in there. It can't hurt, and there might be some search engines out there that use it.

Darren Collins
Sunday, August 31, 2003

Yes, it is always a good idea to add a keywords, description and title meta tags. Some engines do use these. But they also measure the keywords on the page's text with the metatags keywords. So be sure and use the metatags keywords in your text as well.

This is a good place to learn about seach engine optimization.

http://www.searchenginewatch.com/

Never leave out these important metatags. The engines that use them will reward you. The engines that ignore them won't mind if they are there.

In other words, "no one ever got fired for using metatags."

John Cesta

John Cesta
Sunday, August 31, 2003

I use the keywords field myself for four things:

* Search keywords used to generate an article-search table consumed by my client-side site search engine.

* Special keywords to control the generation of the search table, such as (nosearch) to exclude certain articles.

* Special keywords used in building navigation via CityScript, such as (top) and (nonav).

* Meta tags in the resulting pages.

I'm sure others have been even more creative.  My point is that the keywords field isn't just for meta tags.

Bob Riemersma
Sunday, August 31, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home