Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Home edition

From where I'm standing, I think that losing the so called home edition has created a hole in the CityDesk range. I ha ve suggested CityDesk to a number of people and small organisations as a perfect tool for creating web pages and I personally set up a site for the science dept of the school where I work.

All of these recommendations were on the assumption that they would try it out first for free, then maybe, if they start to use it seriously and they go past the 50 item limit they could stretch their budgets to getting the home edition which would probably be fine for all of their needs.

For many small, possibly none-profit organisations who are on a tight budget, who maybe have one old PC and just want to get a site up for news and information, CityDesk has just disappeared out of view.

There are lots of solutions for getting up such sites for less than $100 even though they don't have the elegence and focus on the content that you would get with citydesk.

I feel it is a shame.

Nick W
Sunday, August 31, 2003

I agree. If not a Home Edition how about reduced non-profit or education pricing?

Davy
Sunday, August 31, 2003

A $75 educational edition with the same features as the Pro version would see wide use by educators. No cannibalizing of other revenue streams and great publicity for Fog Creek. Good vibe for helping students too.

High School Teacher
Sunday, August 31, 2003

A suggestion: Maybe offer a Home Edition with no or minimal support. And charge extra for support.

I remember reading a commentary from Joel saying it was not cost effective to support the Home Edition - maybe the above suggestion could be a way around this.

Ram Dass
Sunday, August 31, 2003

I would definitely urge a rethink. Your suddenly telling a group of potential customers that you don't need their money.

The technical support pages on the CityDesk site point to a FAQ and to this forum. What additional support is there when you register? Phone and email? Don't let "Home" users access this and your getting our $79 for nothing. The unoffical support still looks great value!

Ok, the free version is great, really great. As it stands it is a very useful tool. But the jump to Pro is big.

Nick W
Tuesday, September 02, 2003

Today, I want Home Edition for my college junior daughter. They taught her to do websites in HTML. Today she says, "Can you make me something so I don't have to do HTML anymore?" So I'm thinking about telling her to do a bunch of 50 file sites.

tk

I should mention, we often offer 50% discounts to certain 501(c)(3) charities and nonprofits  -- if you're using CityDesk for a nonprofit ask citydesk@fogcreek.com if you apply.

Joel Spolsky

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home