Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

{$ .email $} or {$.email$}?

I can't figure out when I'm suppsoed to put a space in for a variable. For example, which is correct: {$ .email $} or {$.email$}? In general, when is a space used and when not. I read the docs but couldn't find anything too concrete. This page in particular confused me http://www.fogcreek.com/CityDesk/help/Tutorial/fog0000000017.html .

Patrick Breitenbach
Monday, December 10, 2001

The short answer is that either one is fine.

Michael Pryor

OK, thanks.

The one thing I did notice was that when putting variables in a FORM, I needed to include the space so that it didn't re-format the HTML improperly.

For example:

<input type=hidden name="item_name" value="{$.headline$}">

formats to

<input type=hidden name="item_name" value={$".headline$}">

but inserting the space makes it OK.

Patrick Breitenbach

And this is a nit, but I'd recommend going with lower case HTML tags and always putting in the double quotes on attributes (which I believe is the correct standard).

Patrick Breitenbach

I second the lower case tags (or at least provide an option!) and double quoted attributes.

Scott Carpenter

Amongst much other HTML-mangling behaviour in the editor, attribute quote stripping is perhaps the most annoying to me.

Garth Kidd

This has been covered in the past[1] and I'm sure will be addressed in the context of the HTML-generation overhaul (of course, anything that generates XHTML will by definition be doing what you suggest... lowercase tags and quoted attributes.

[1] http://discuss.fogcreek.com/citydesk/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=594

Brad Wilson

Nice. Thanks.

FWIW, I'm glad Fog Creek decided to ship now rather than spend the extra time (and give up the extra revenue) trying to get the HTML right.

Even despite having to fight the DHTMLEd HTML mangling, I'm putting up decent sites faster with CityDesk than with any other product I've tried. Niiiice.

Garth Kidd

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home