Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Changing Templates

Ok, Am I being *really* dumb or do you really have to go through your whole site changing the template properties on each article whenever you change your web design? I must be missing something as I can't imagine doing this with a large site. So what am I doing wrong?

Robert Moir
Saturday, August 30, 2003

You just have to change the template or you can experiment with a new template and later rename it to replace the old template that you no longer like.

Jorgen Brenting

Well, you can't rename templates in CD, I forgot, but you can copy and paste the content from one to another. Or you can simply rewrite the template you are using now. There is no need to open every article in the site

Jorgen Brenting

Obligatory plug: CopyBoy features several ways to change templates in bulk.

Mike Gunderloy

Good point Jorgen, but me being awkward likes to keep the old templates for historical purposes so of course never started off with that idea

Mike... Copyboy eh? I'll take a good look. Thanks!

Robert Moir
Sunday, August 31, 2003

I keep my templates in a text file in citydesk.... one text file per old template so I can roll back if needed.

www.marktaw.com
Sunday, August 31, 2003

Thats not a bad idea Mark...

I want to keep the old templates in case I ever get cheap enough to produce a "the way we were" article one day when im desperate for content ;-)

Besides that, its nice to dip and take ideas from old templates, or see a reminder of why you ditched an idea that *sounds* good!

Robert Moir
Sunday, August 31, 2003

Let me just correct one tiny misconception -- you can rename templates. Use the "Properties" button in the "Templates" window.

Joel Spolsky
Tuesday, September 02, 2003

Joel wrote:
Let me just correct one tiny misconception -- you can rename templates. Use the "Properties" button in the "Templates" window.

Sorry about that. My fault.

Jorgen Brenting
Wednesday, September 03, 2003

I have to admit it's not very obvious. We should just have a RENAME button.

Joel Spolsky
Wednesday, September 03, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home