Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Large number of articles

Does anyone out there have experience running CD with a large number of articles? 

Say 2000 articles, say five screen pages each, organised in nested subdirectories, est'd total size about 10-20 MB? 

Changes to a handful of articles will occur every day. How about elapsed time for CD to complete publishing? 

Is CD able to handle such volume smoothly?  Any concerns with making CD the primary storage of that data?

Handling?  Reliability?  Stability?

Thanks!

Vic
Saturday, August 30, 2003

I just created a new article on my site; it got magic number PTMFOG0000002814. Some of that - 30%? - are pictures, but still that seems like a lot of articles.

It takes a minute or two to publish everything. I suppose there are ways to reduce that, but I'm too lazy to look for them.

Rearranging things in the main window used to take a *long* time, but 2.0 is much faster.

The only stability problem I ever had was that the global search function tended to crash if I opened too many articles from the results list. I haven't seen this happen in 2.0 yet.

Pat Rice

Right now, my site is not huge, here are the stats:
192 Items (that is articles, graphics, etc).
Items nested three folders deep.
Total size of the site (compacted) is 8M.

Takes four seconds to generate entire site, on a P4 with 1G RAM and an ATA133 drive with 8M cache.

You can extrapolate from there. AFAIK there is no difference with the way CD handles large or small sites. So far I have not had any problems (site corruption or the like).

Before 2.0 came along, I would make manual site backups, but now 2.0 does that automagically.

Bob

Robert Pawlak ( www.chessassistance.com )

I forgot to post on reliability. Ver 1.0 would crash under certain circumstances (if I recall, changing justification of pre-existing graphics was a no-no), which I simply avoided. So far, I have not had any crashes with 2.0.

Fogcreek stands behind their product, and you will note that they frequently post on this group (as well as host it). There has been some criticism of the program, yet Fogcreek has not attempted to censor these posts.

What you see is pretty much what you get...

Robert Pawlak ( www.chessassistance.com )

The scripts seem to consume the "getting ready to publish time." Lots of scripts over lots of articles - longer publish times. My longest publish time is for a 3meg .cty site. Lots of scripts. My next longest is in a 30meg .cty site.

tk

My site comes pretty close to your numbers: about 1800 articles. The database file is about 15M. Published size is 20.6M.

Publishing the site takes about a minute before uploads begin. I talk to my server over a 100 megabit LAN, and if it only has to update a few files, transfer only takes a few seconds.

If it has to update every article, that takes maybe another minute total.

Steven Den Beste
Sunday, August 31, 2003

Just curious, Steven.  What hardware are you using?

Bernard Vander Beken
Sunday, August 31, 2003

Thanks to all.

One concern less it seems!

Vic
Monday, September 01, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home