Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Citydesk 2 very slow

I am finding Citydesk 2 (both beta and recent final release) extremely slow. This relates to switching between Normal and HTML views on a page and also saving. (I'm talking up to a minute or so simply to swap to HTML).

My machine is not young (Pentium 300, 256MB RAM) but not that old either.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
David

David Brewster
Thursday, August 28, 2003

David Brewster :re "My machine is not young (Pentium 300, 256MB RAM) but not that old either. Any ideas?"

I recommend that you upgrade your technology .. what you have is slow and there is no 2 ways about it.

I just upgraded my stuff .. from a "dual" Pentium II 333 Mhz with 512K RAM plus some other stuff including a quality graphics accelerator  ... and yes the CD stuff ran slow on this setup ... to a new 2,4 Ghz Pentium 4 with 1GB of RAM ... the new tech processor and motherboard plus graphics accelerator has a front side bus = to 800Mhz and that is slowed down by my DDR RAM which operates at 400Mhz  cause I did not want to spend the money on the more expressive memory stuff ... however the performance improvement is very significant over the old tech which FSB operated at 66Mhz. I now compile the CD stuff in less than 5 seconds compared to 35 seconds on the old tech. I suspect that had I gone to a 3.2 Ghz P4 the compile time would improve by one to two seconds and had I gone with the expensive memory then I suspect that that compile time would be down to 2 seconds or less for a site of the size I am measuring. :-)

My explanation above does not tell the whole story – many elements all operating at max efficiency add up [i.e. dard disk seek/read etc. etc] ... bottom line is that the new tech available today is at least one light year better than the stuff from 18 months ago.

You can improve some stuff on your PC to speed up the compile times marginally. Stuff like defragging your hard disk at least once a month and making sure that your hard disk has sufficient excess capacity – at least 40% free and finally if you are a NT or XP users the swap space must be properly set.

David Mozer

David,
      your setup is slow. Its fine for internet browsing, emails & word and stuff, but you are talking about a 5 yr old machine here.

Richard

Runs OK for me on a PII 350 with 256MB RAM, Slight delay (5-10 seconds) when switching form Normal to HTML view. Depends on the size of the article though, v large article would take longer.

Iain Forsyth

CityDesk runs well on my three-year-old machine (dual 550MHz Pentium III, 512MB memory).

Pat Rice

That's weird.
I'm using CD on a computer with 266mhz and 64ram. it's 6 years old, but works just fine. CD isn't "fast", but it never takes more than a second (or a few, for extremly large articles) to switch between normal/html view.

my guess is that there's a memory problem of some sort.

nigel godrich

> I am finding Citydesk 2 (both beta and recent final release) extremely slow. <

Relative to...... what? CityDesk 1? Word 95?

CD does a lot behind the scenes when you're switching from HTML to Normal mode and v.v. The Microsoft DHTML Edit control doesn't preserve a lot of the code that CityDesk needs to preserve, so I guess there must be a lot of cacheing and regular expression search/replacing going on... not to mention some HTML Tidying.

www.marktaw.com

I experienced slow downs of up to 30 seconds on a dual 1GHz Athlon with 1Gig of Ram.  My document was fairly long and I think 2.0 is slower than 1.0 due to to the new "Tidying"

David Burch

Or maybe some bad regex code...

www.marktaw.com

I am having the same issue on a very fast machine (slow switching between html and normal).  Everything else is fast, but when I switch, I have to wait at least 5 seconds.  The HTML is not very large.

Lou
Thursday, September 04, 2003

I have one template that now takes 55 seconds to switch from normal to HTML. It's the only template in that .cty file that takes so long.

tk
Thursday, September 04, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home