Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Can't Get CityDesk to Work

Hi Joel/Fog Creek--
I'm checking out CityDesk to see if it would be a viable solution for 100+ content authors at our company.

Unfortunately, I can't even get to Gate 1. When I launch CityDesk on Win2000 Pro, I immediately receive an error msg:

V:1.0.23 Starter Edition ActiveX component can't create object: 429 global:OpenDatabases:1010
Windows Version: Microsoft Windows 2000 Workstation Version 5.0 Service Pack 1 (Build 2195)
IE Version: Internet Explorere 5.50.4134

I tried to send a bug report, but the transmission times out (although my network is running fine).

Big Corporate Evaluator
Monday, December 10, 2001

Hello Big Corporate Evaluator!

Your version of Microsoft Scripting on that computer is corrupted.

1) Visit http://www.microsoft.com/scripting and download the latest version of Microsoft Scripting (I think its 5.6).

2) Or you can search for scrrun.dll on your computer and delete it and then run the install again.  We don't normally install it on Win2K since the scripting engine that comes with the OS is usually good enough.

1) would definitely fix it, but 2) might be quicker for you.

Let me know how it goes...

Michael Pryor

Here's the full URL for Scripting 5.6

http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/default.asp?URL=/downloads/sample.asp?url=/msdn-files/027/001/733/msdncompositedoc.xml

Michael Pryor

Thanks, that cleared it up.

Now I can move forward and see how well CityDesk handles our complex templates (CSS & DHTML).

Thanks for your quick response.

Big Corporate Evaluator

Does the need for Microsoft Scripting reveal that there are some automation hooks hidden under the covers that we might be able to take advantage of in later versions?

Garth Kidd

Currently, we're just using Microsoft Scripting because it comes with some nice classes (FileSystemObject, RegExp) that we use in our code. Since it normally ships with IE everyone should have it.

Joel Spolsky

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home