Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Audience system publishes too much

I set up the audience list as per the article on this group on how to create a draft system in which you can hold off on publishing a draft for an article. This is CityDesk 2.0.19 btw.

This was my setup:
- audiences: do_not_use and draft
- template families: html and printfriendly

I had two publishing locations. The main one published only the html family and did so to the root of my website.

The second one published only the printfriendly family and did so to a subdirectory /print/.

The draft is not published in either case, only the do_not_use one (see the other article on how this works).

I noticed today that publishing my site published far more files than needed:

main publishing location:
\* <-- all files published to root, as expected
\html\* <-- all files also published here
\printfriendly\* <-- printfriendly templated articles published here.

second publishing location:
\print\* <-- all articles published here, as expected
\print\html\* <-- here too
\print\printfriendly\* <-- and here

I deleted the publishing locations, restarted citydesk and recreated them. First time publish deleted a bunch of files (the ones I wasn't expecting) and left the directories. Second time publish put all the files back and third and fourth did not change that.

I ended up removing the audience list and publishing all audiences every time and this seems to work ok. That's why I think there's something of a bug in the "publish audience" system.

I'll see if I can come up with a step-by-step reproductive case.

Lasse Vågsæther Karlsen
Wednesday, August 27, 2003

Well, I tried what you described and it seemed to be working all right here. Is it possible the extra subdirectories were actually just leftovers from a previous publishing session in which you were publishing all template families?

Joel Spolsky
Wednesday, August 27, 2003

No, I clearly watched as CD published the files. I even deleted all the files and directories and did a publish all (I don't think this one is supposed to publish the different templates as described either) and noticed that it put them all back.

I will try to reproduce this case.

Lasse Vågsæther Karlsen
Thursday, August 28, 2003

I agree with Joel.. Check your Locations and scroll through and see if you have "Publish All Templates Using Subdirectories" or something checked.

www.marktaw.com
Thursday, August 28, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home