Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

V2  presents: The case of the missing index.html

Made a nice little personal blog site. One template family, one template.

Then today, with my just installed Final Version 2 CD, added a "printerfriendly" template family. Just one template.

And now my site's home page is gone. In its place is the CD created page:

"CityDesk published the following variations of this site in subdirectories:

\HTML
\printerfriendly

Click on any link to view it."

So this is the page that visitors see.

I tried FTP'g a redir page but everytime I publish it gets overwritten by this CD created page.

Now, my pages are published to subdir \HTML\. I'd rather the pages publish to the root directory.

The printerfriendly pages are correctly located in subdir \printerfriendly\.

How can I get my main formatted (template family HTML) to print in the ROOT?

If I'm stuck, then what is the Windows FTP command line to execute to ftp my new index.html with the redirs, that is *not* in my cty file.

The v2 betas didn't do this. I just installed final V2 today and this happened. Or maybe I screwed up!

Bob Bloom
Wednesday, August 27, 2003

Now that you have two template families, CityDesk is publishing both of them in subdirectories (that's what you told it to do in your publish location.) The index files are one subdirectory lower.

The easiest fix is to set up two publish locations, one for each template family.

Joel Spolsky

Find out the difference between index.htm, index.html, default.htm and default.html on your web server... maybe you can rename the file citydesk creates (.htm, .html) or create a default.htm that the site looks at before index.htm.

Or follow Joel's advice - that's how I have mine set up - two publish locations with one for HTML and one for printable. At publish time I just select both from the dialogue using the control key.

www.marktaw.com

Joel,

Of course set up separate locations -- thwap! <sound of palm smacking forehead>.

Sometimes I need someone to point out the obvious, which is why I value this group.

-Bob

Bob Bloom

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home