Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Feature request: Publish log

When I publish my log now I can see a "permission denied" flashing on the screen, but I don't know what it wasn't able to publish.

Consider this a request to get CD to save a copy of the publishing log so that I can find out what this error message is related to.

Lasse Vågsæther Karlsen
Wednesday, August 27, 2003

If you run it from the command line you can specify a log file location that will do as you want. Check out the help:

http://www.fogcreek.com/CityDesk/2.0/help/Features/AutomaticPublishing.html

John C

Thanks! I don't need the log on a regular basis so this will do nicely!

Lasse Vågsæther Karlsen

I had similar problems just recently.  Joel Spolsky rightly suspected it was a firewall issue.  I first got around the problem with "passive mode" ftp checked.  But after I learned about the firewall issue, I reconfigured zone alarm to allow ftp with my host.  Maybe you have a similar situation.

Joel Goldstick

Hmm, this log thingy doesn't seem to work properly on my machine. I seem to have a lot of these little gripes these days so perhaps it's my machine, but here goes...

When I used the command line example to publish my site, it published and I noticed that it uploaded at least two new files. I also managed to read one of the warnings and it was that it couldn't create a directory called "HTML/LVKComponents". I use the HTML template family, and LVKComponents is one of my article folders, but I'm not publishing to a /HTML/ directory as I publish the main template family to the root.

In any case, the log file only contained the last entry of the upload process, as if it had only uploaded one file.

Lasse Vågsæther Karlsen
Thursday, August 28, 2003

I second this feature request. I have a small batchfile containing:

for %%a in (%1.cty) do call  "c:\program files\citydesk\citydesk" %%a /publish "%2" /results "c:\windows\desktop\publish.log"

This makes publishing a set of files a breeze.

But: Publish.log contains only the last entry of the last published file, wich makes it pretty useless for logging a bunch of files. I would suggest that the log entries are ADDED to the file instead of replaced.

Menno Tillema
Sunday, August 31, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home