Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Upload changes only using SFTP/SCP?

Folk using CityDesk to upload websites can get their uploads done very quickly because CD only uploads the changed files; however, as far as I see, sftp/scp users still have to upload the entire site or rely on rsync.

However, since rsync isn't an option for many users, is it possible (a) for CD to emit a diff.xml file for publishes, so tools can figure out what changed; or (b) document the CRC algorithm CD uses so someone can write a delta-scp tool?

Prasenjeet Dutta
Tuesday, August 26, 2003

CityDesk will calculate the CRCs for you. Just look in Citydesk.xml. Once the site is produced, there's a copy of this file in a temp directory on your hard drive and a copy on the server. This is how CityDesk decides which files have changed and need to be uploaded. It's mindnumbingly simple so just have a look at citydesk.xml and it will all become incredibly obvious. :)

Joel Spolsky
Tuesday, August 26, 2003

(light bulbs going off around head) Thanks, and sorry for the dumb question! I managed to whip up a small script that seems to work with my setup. In case anyone else is interested, it's at http://www.chaoszone.org/misc/delta-up.zip -- there's a Readme in the zip file.

Prasenjeet Dutta
Wednesday, August 27, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home