Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Annoying bug

When I want to open a .css file it opens and immediatly crashes. i've sent the error report a couple of times during the past week since the bug has been discovered, hopefuly a post in the forum will speed up the fix.

The error report:

invalid property value:380
frmTextEdit:Form_Resize:1070

and another, lesser bug:
when entering unicode charecters as article names in win-xp CD transforms them to gibberish. in win98se it displays them quite properly (and in both cases publishes the actual file names as underscores). no idea what's the cause to that, but brings in mind a suggestion: if CD detects improper-file-name-charecters in the article's name it should use the old fog0000023.html. not very attractive, but probably more appealing that the current _____-____.html  (whice tend to be undistingushable).

john doe
Monday, August 25, 2003

The crash you're seeing: is this with CityDesk 2.0 or 1.x?

In any case a workaround is to delete the HKEY_CURRENT_USER/SOFTWARE/Fog Creek Software/CityDesk section of your registry.

Filenames: In general URLs only allow for US/ASCII characters, so you're better off sticking to ASCII file names, too.

Joel Spolsky
Monday, August 25, 2003

CD v. 2.0.19 (on win98se, with plenty of available memory).
I just deleted the registry memory of CD and now it works. I wonder what caused the problem. perhaps some clash between CD and "Top Style Pro 3"?

and again about URL names: yes, it would be best to stick to us-ascii charectrs in file names. except that article names need to use alto a more varied, utf-8, combination. this is for to major reasons that can't be avoided:

1) the article name is automaticly the $headline , which is always in said utf-8
2) contributers. they don't have a very good english, and even if some sort of managment of article names were arranged it would be impossible for them to keep track and edit old articles.

and making CD use fog00*.html instead of _____.html shouldn't be too much of a hassle (i hope). nothing of a UI issue. just whenever it detects something it can't parse as a file-name, use the fog00* thingie.
(currently my entire site is built of ____.html, ______.html, _____-____2.html ___.html etc.)

john doe
Tuesday, August 26, 2003

I ALMOST FORGOT!

thanks joel for the quick response. problem solved.

john doe
Tuesday, August 26, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home