Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

New CityDesk Site / Anyone using WINE?

This is my first "serious" site built with CityDesk, and 4th overall.  I love the product.

http://www.MeditationInTexas.org

I'm a GNU/Linux user, and wonder if anyone has run CityDesk on WINE?

Walt Washburn
Monday, August 25, 2003

hmmm...while drinking WINE I used CityDesk.

John

John Cesta
Monday, August 25, 2003

Hi,

congratulations from Germany. Your first "serious" website is really great and looks very professional. I will do my best to grab some ideas.

kind regards

Lutz

Lutz Sindermann
Monday, August 25, 2003

Cheers John.  I'm partial to Merlots

Thank you Lutz! 

I'll put some effort into WINE and see if I can't succeed.  Been needing motivation to ride against that particular windmill.  CityDesk is worth the effort, I think...

I'll let y'all know how I do.

Walt Washburn
Monday, August 25, 2003

It will never work!

I tried to get it to run under GNU Linux using wine but no luck. I even tried the wine implementation as provided by CodeWeavers which runs stuff like Lotus Notes, MSIE 6.0 and other WIN32 software just fine.

It looks like CityDesk uses ActiveX or something and that doesn't really fly on Linux.

My wine stops with:
err:seh:EXC_DefaultHandling Unhandled exception code c0000005 flags 0 addr 0x402b0d77

The installation under wine from CodeWeavers is fine but when I try to run CityDesk is fails on account of missing "Microsoft XML3" and "DHTMLEdit"

I hope sby can get this to work as I really like CityDesk but if it doesn't run on Linux I can't really use it. :-(

Or maybe sby. will startup a GPL/OSS project with at similar program?

/Jan

Jan Christensen
Wednesday, August 27, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home