Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Bug in Author field

The Author field is defined in tblArticle as Text(255), rather than the normal MEMO type of the other fields.

Hence if you type in more than 255 characters into the Author edit box, it gets truncated.

Paul T
Saturday, August 23, 2003

Wow.

Am I making a false assumption on my end that "Author" is only meant for the author's name?  I include the text from this field (along with Keywords) when generating site-search data for my client-side search engine (IE only, sorry).

I'm not sure it makes sense to dump somebody's bio into this field, but we've all managed to achieve some clever things by "bending" CD features.

Bob Riemersma
Saturday, August 23, 2003

You *could* have a very long name, or more likely a list of ten co-authors or so. That could be more than 255 chars.

Other than that, I guess it's more a "not really important, but it should be right" kind of report.

Henrik Jernevad
Monday, August 25, 2003

You can change the name of the Author field in the template properties, so it makes sense to allow more than 255.

tk
Monday, August 25, 2003

I agree that the Author field should be allowed to be longer than 255 characters - in my case the author field is for contributors to an academic journal, which usually includes their affiliations and collaborators. However for those in a similar situation, I would suggest using one of the "Extra" fields to create a new area called "Author Affiliations", thereby using "Author" for names only and the new field for addresses, etc.

JLS
Wednesday, October 22, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home