Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

how do you UNpublish?

Help!  I want to remove the site I created using CityDesk from the internet altogether.  How do I do that?  I don't see a function on CityDesk for "Unpublishing," only for Publishing. 
Many Thanks to anyone who can answer this.

Denise Tajiri
Friday, August 22, 2003

What if you removed the citydesk tree and then publish?

Or

Manually FTP to the site and delete the root directory.

John

John Cesta
Friday, August 22, 2003

Publish as if it was this date in 1976? it should get rid of most of the stuff that isn't top level navigation.

www.marktaw.com
Friday, August 22, 2003

Mark, I think that would only work if your articles were specified as "never publish before" a certain date.

Joel Spolsky
Friday, August 22, 2003

How about creating a new empty project, then publishing it to the same location?

Joel Goldstick
Friday, August 22, 2003

That won't work ... CityDesk tries very hard not to mess with files on the web server that it didn't put there.

Joel Spolsky
Saturday, August 23, 2003

Joel S,

Could you delete all of your articles while in CD then publish to clean out the host?  (Of course making sure you have a backup cty file!)

Joel Goldstick

Everybody need to own and know how to work an FTP program. I use CuteFTP. It helps solve so many rare problems like losing your connection during a CityDesk publish.

tk

And if anyone is looking for a free FTP Client, I can recommend FileZilla (http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/). 
Besides being robust it also support multiple file transfers at the same time.

Bernard Vander Beken
Monday, August 25, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home