Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Bug? TextArea in a form gets unwanted stuff

Hi,

I have a form in an article. The form has a textarea that should be empty but it ends up with some unwanted stuff . I delete the stuff from the HTML view but it comes back when I switch to normal view. Help!

Here is what is generated and added to the textarea.  Am I doing something stupid?

<cd:preserve whitespace="CL" /> <cd:nbspok> <SPAN id=fogstart><cd:preserve whitespace="" /></SPAN><cd:preserve whitespace="" /><SPAN id=fogend><cd:preserve whitespace="" /></SPAN><cd:preserve whitespace="CL" />

Any help will be appreciated.

Rahul
http://www.DriveRDF.org/

Rahul Singh
Thursday, August 21, 2003

Try publishing your site to somewhere on your machine.  Then look at the published files.  The CD: stuff will probably be gone.  I remember reading here that CD uses that information to properly display some things while editing, but I don't think they remain after publishing.

Joel Goldstick

When you preview or publish, that stuff will go away. At least it goes away in my forms.

For example in a search form I have this in the html:
<input type="hidden" value="sp10023a9f" name="sp-a" />

In the normal view "sp10023a9f" is in a box.

I also have this:
<input type="hidden" value="ISO-8859-1" name="sp-f" />

and it shows as "ISO-8859-1" in a box beside the first box.

The page comes out fine though. I'm sure there an explantion for why it diplays like that. It's scary the first time. It appers that you get a box for each hidden value.

tk

The same kind of thing happens when you edit asp pages in frontpage, the boxes have stuff in them, then when you publish it is a it should be.

Ron Lane

Hi,

I published my site but its still there.

See the big textarea at the bottom at  http://www.driverdf.org/bugs.html

Cheers,

Rahul

Rahul Singh
Friday, August 22, 2003

Hi,

Some more info that might help clueful people in this forum helping me.

In the article everytime I switch between normal and html view it adds more stuff to the text area.

If you look at the text area at the bottom of the page at

http://www.DriveRDF.org/bugs.html

you'll see its full of stuff. Thats becaue I switched between html and normal view tons of times and then published.

BTW I am using the CityDesk Home edition RC 2.0.17

Cheers,

Rahul
kingtiny@DriveRDF.org

Rahul Singh
Friday, August 22, 2003

This is a bug in the release candidate that will be fixed in Monday's final version.

Joel Spolsky
Friday, August 22, 2003

This is a real problem.  I have numerous forms in my site and every time I go back to edit the page, the junk returns.

No, it does not disappear when publishing.

No, we are not referring to the "hidden text" information (I use that too)

It is possible to get rid of the junk by editing in the HTML window and removing it and then saving - but it still comes back the next time you edit.

Paul Herrmann
Sunday, August 24, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home