Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Guide on how to create a RSS feed

Every now and then someone ask questions about how to create a RSS feed using CityDesk. Therefore, I created a simple guide that goes through how to create a RSS feed, step by step.

It can be found at: http://www.henko.net/Computers/CreatingRSSfeedsusingCity.php

Any comments or thoughts are very welcome!

Regards
  Henrik

Henrik Jernevad
Thursday, August 21, 2003

Couple of observations:

- {$ setDateTimeFormat ... $} and <?xml...> should be on the same line, otherwise the validator bugs out, so move <?xml up to the end of the first line
- in the article text you've written <author>...</title>, should be </author>

personal observation: appears my name Vågsæther won't validate, any thoughts on how to fix that ? I've written V. for the moment.

Other than this, VERY COOL! :)
Thanks for the walkthrough, my RSS feed is now up :)

Lasse Vågsæther Karlsen

You code try encoding the xml:

<?xml encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>

should do the trick.

Adrian Frost

I  was wondering about the time zone issue.  I live in the eastern time zone for US.  I think that is 5 hours before gmt except in the summer when it is 6 hours earlier.  Do I use

{$ setDateTimeFormat "*" "ddd, dd MMM yyyy" "HH:mm:ss -0500" $}

when we are on standard time and -0600 when on daylight time?

Joel Goldstick

Isn't there a way to do those European style letters using utf-16?  Or is that the same as the iso standard mentioned above?

Joel Goldstick

Thanks.. i have RSS'ed my site in ten minutes. (at least.. in 2 hours, but minor changes).

I dont know how people can use the xml.. and I suppose that maybe 2 people in the world would be interested... but its great.

Thanks!

Robert Cappa

A question:

in my .body i have some images (linked with CD magic name).

there is a way to convert them to absolute paths. I have seen that some pages, like joelonsoftware, has this problem and the images of the articles are not shown with a rss reader.

Im testing it with Feedreader Alpha 2.5

Thx!

Robert Cappa

Can you set a variable like so:

myhost = "http://www.myhost.com"

and put that in front of the link?

Joel Goldstick

In CityDesk 2.0, you should always specify UTF-8 encoding.

Joel Spolsky

Robert, with CityDesk 2.0, there's a CityScript command (I think it's withAbsoluteLinks) that converts all your links for images, etc. from relative to absolute.

Joel Spolsky

The photos are composed in the body of the article (in normal view).

I solved it using the extra1 field, copying all the body text to it.

Maybe CD could parse the urls when an "rss.xml" template its asigned to an article?

just an idea.

Robert Cappa
Friday, August 22, 2003

Lasse:

Thanks for your observations, I should fix them as soon as I'm back using my main computer.

Regarding your name, it should validate. If you're using UTF-8 it should work just fine.

Thanks for the feedback. =)

Henrik Jernevad
Friday, August 22, 2003

Joel (Goldstick):

I actually don't know for sure about the time zone issue myself. I have the same "problem". So if anyone knows for sure, I'm listening too. =)

Henrik Jernevad
Friday, August 22, 2003

Do you change your clocks in the States for Summertime?
(Sorry if this sounds ignorant, but I am UK based and don't know which countries change there clocks)

If you don't then it's not a problem, as GMT never changes.

Chase
Friday, August 22, 2003

Some users may want to add an RSS autodiscovery tag (standard <LINK>) to their main index page, as a supplement to or replacement for the XML icon. Doing so allows aggregators to sydnicate the site with only the base URL.

Details:

http://diveintomark.org/archives/2002/06/02/important_change_to_the_link_tag

R Tate
Friday, August 22, 2003

R Tate, thanks for telling about the auto discovery link. It'll soon be added to the guide.

Henrik Jernevad
Monday, August 25, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home