Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

New CityDesk Site

Thanks to the people in this forum who helped while I was working on this site:

http://developerdotstar.com

The site is called developer.*  It's an online magazine for software developers.

Comments welcome.

Dan

Daniel Read
Wednesday, August 20, 2003

Interesting site.

You've hard-coded the font sizes so the text can't be resized under IE. Also, I get an annoying horizontal scrollbar using IE 5 running at XVGA resolution.

John Topley (www.johntopley.com)
Thursday, August 21, 2003

Nice, clean site. But you get some VERY long lines in the articles on a big screen.

Jorgen Brenting

Jorgen,

So resize your browser window!  The site is liquid -- the larger the window, the more space available to fill horizontally!

Joel Goldstick

I know. You completely misunderstood the message. Worst for you.

Jorgen Brenting

Jorgen,

Sorry I misunderstood, I apologize.

I went back to the site with IE6 and discovered as was commented above that fonts have been sized in px not em.  That is unfortunate for IE users.

I mostly use Opera now, which does away with the px issue since it lets you increase or decrease the fonts anyway with + and -.

I thought that you were making the point that long likes are hard to read.  I agree with that point, and that's why I thought slimming the horizontal display size would fix that problem.

But I still apparently misunderstood your question.  Could you restate it?

Joel Goldstick

Thanks to everyone for your comments.  I realized that the font sizing thing was an issue after I set everything up with CSS.  Changing the pixels to points is on my to-do list.  I did try an experiment once, however, of changing all the "px" to "pt" with a search-and-replace in the CSS file, and the font size adjustment in IE still did not work.  I'll have to play with it when I get the chance.  That said, all of the articles have a Large Print option in the upper right hand corner, thanks to the ease of City Desk's template families and CSS.

As for the width of the lines in the articles, that is bothersome to me as well.  In hindsight I wish I had fixed the width of the center column to optimize the line width, but to do that now would take considerable rework, so I don't know if I'll get to it any time soon.  In the meantime, as someone pointed out, resizing the browser window does the trick.

Thanks again for the comments.

Dan

Daniel Read

Daniel,

It doesn't matter whether you use pixels or points - you're still specifying an absolute size. You need to investigate the relative sizing options. On my site I use x-small/small/smaller etc.

John Topley (www.johntopley.com)
Friday, August 22, 2003

Theres a good article on controling text sizes in css at

http://www.thenoodleincident.com/tutorials/css/#text

Ken McKinney
Friday, August 22, 2003

Excellent.  Thanks guys.  I will get on that.

Dan

Daniel Read
Friday, August 22, 2003

Just to echo John's point, don't use absolute font sizes, use relative ones (I use ems on www.boyet.com). You can still get the same effect you want when the user agent (the browser) is set to the default medium text, but it makes your site that much more amenable to people who need larger text.

Julian M Bucknall
Friday, August 22, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home