Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

Bug in "Run before Copy"

I built a solution to the breadcrumbs problem (not the javascript solutioins scattered all over the show), that replaces the string ###PATH### in any htm*, php* and asp-file before copying the files to the destination site (file copy, local).

When I publish my site, the BreadCrumbs.exe works like a charm - but CityDesk only copies the files one level deep - meening lots of links (to images, two levels deep - "images\navigation\myimage.gif") don't work!

Is this a bug in CityDesk RC 2.0.17?

I tried publishing all files. didn't work.
I tried publishing without running BreadCrumbs.exe - voilà! it works... does the file copy algorithm rely on timestamps or something wierd?

Daren Thomas
Wednesday, August 20, 2003

I have noticed the exact same thing. As I only had the archive in a two-level deep folder right now I moved it up one level for the moment, which seems to work.

Any external program that you run on the site before you publish it will make CD only transfer the 0th level and the 1st folder level of files, the rest are simply forgotten about, which makes existing files on your website vanish as well.

I've reported this to fogcreek.

Lasse Vågsæther Karlsen

I'll check into what's going on.

Joel Spolsky

My previous post wasn't entirely correct. If you add the use of an external program, any external program, then the directory structure is flattened. Files that should've been published at 2nd level or higher folder level is moved down to the first level.

For instance, a document inside \archive\2003\08\ is moved down to \archive\ when you use an external program.

The links in all the files are not updated however, so you'll end up with broken links all over the site.

Lasse Vågsæther Karlsen

Thanks Joel, I guess you won't be on vacation forever, so the official release will be coming up soon... I do hope the bug will be fixed by then!

I can't flatten my site, because the BreadCrumbs.exe uses directory structure to build the breadcrumbs...

DarenThomas
Thursday, August 21, 2003

I found the bug, it will be fixed in the final release Monday.

Joel Spolsky
Friday, August 22, 2003

Great.

DarenThomas
Saturday, August 23, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home