Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Documentation
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

A couple of questions

Hi everybody, I've got a couple of questions that i hope somebody might help me with.

1) comment system
Has anybody tried integrating one with a CD site? Which? What are the requierments for it?

2) numbering
Can CD count the number of results in a $forEach? -- I've got a "link index" that goes through various sub-dir's where the links are stored. any way to automaticly count them?

3) free host
Does anybody know of a (free) host the supports FTP uploading? Preferably also supporting the said requierments for the comment system.. -- Just something temporary 'till i finish with the cookie-sales to get enough money for more reliable hosting.
While I'm at it, does anybody have recommendations for a pay-host? cheapest i've found gives 150mb of storage and 3gb of transfer for 40$ a year.

john doe
Wednesday, August 20, 2003

I can answer question 1 with a plug to my own site:

http://www.johnsadventures.com/backend/CommentsSystemTemplate/AWeblogWithComments.html

There's a weblog template with article comments powered by php and mySQL (a common configuration from most web hosts).

John C

John Doe,

Just be careful with what you are searching for on the hosting front... you might just find it!

Cheap hosting comes at a cost, it has to... usually support or reliability of server/service.

After several hosts over the last 7+ years, ranging from el cheapo's to moderately expensive I've now settled for hosting all my client sites through: http://www.zippyhosting.com/_html/Menu/WebHosting.html

Note the prices are in Australian dollars (convert at the rate of $AUD1.00=~$US0.65) the servers are in the US though. For their relatively low prices I've found their tech support to be very good and the service reliable.

Tim Jones

John C.,
thanks a million. i looked in to the template and it seems perfect. i can have comments on some pages, and not on others.. did i already say perfect?
btw, on your site you write that working with this won't allow CD to preview on a system that isn't running php/mySQL. it seems that that's relevant to CD1.x. When i ran the template on my computer (i tried installing apache-mysql-php a couple of months ago.. it was hell, and i uninstalled everything the minute after i succeeded) just swell (except, ofcourse, for not showing the pop-up window for comments).

Tim Jones,
when i said i'm cheap i meant that..  and there's nothing ideological about it, its just that there's barely no money. right now i found p4host.com which seem to have fairly reasonable recommendations, and they go for 24$ a year for a pretty standard hosting plan.

john doe

I wonder if a thread about your favorite web host would be in order here? It may help someone who is looking for a solution.

Ron Lane

If you are looking for a REALLY CHEAP hosting try www.doteasy.com, no CGI, no perl, etc, but for a basic site it is ok.

Aníbal Rojas
Thursday, August 21, 2003

Try eseehosting.com

They are "free", if you renew your domain address with them.

I discovered them while researching CityDesk sites - I emailed the owner of the site and he said he was pretty happy with eseehosting.

Rangit Sangha
Thursday, August 21, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home